With Valentine’s Day coming up, I know it is traditional to buy chocolates or other treats for your loved ones. However, a lot of times the store-bought sweets have a lot of junky ingredients in them. Plus, it is always fun and thoughtful to make your own gifts! Although this recipe cannot be classified as health food, it is a great alternative to the traditional Valentine’s Day dessert. So, if you choose to indulge for this holiday, then try this easy healthier chocolate cake recipe instead of buying or ordering out.
Let’s Talk About Dark Chocolate
A Healthier Chocolate Cake Recipe:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3 oz fair trade dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 T coconut flour
- 1/2 cup fair trade cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Your favorite store-bought (or homemade!) frosting, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt chocolate & coconut oil in medium saucepan over low heat.
- Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients. Sift the coconut flour and baking soda in a sifter so that they will mix easier and not form clumps.
- Once fully melted, take chocolate and coconut oil/butter off the heat. Add the rest of the wet ingredients, stir, and then add the dry ingredients.
- Bake in a small cake pan for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Alternatively, these can be made into brownies or cupcakes, but for cupcakes check the middle with a toothpick after 10 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for about 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
- The frosting is totally optional, as this cake is plenty sweet & moist enough on its own!
Healthier Alternative Tips!
- Add ground flaxseed meal, chia, hemp, sunflower, walnuts, almonds or other nuts to boost fiber, protein, and Omega 3 fatty acid content
- If you don’t have coconut flour, you can use whole wheat flour or almond meal flour for added fiber, antioxidants, and healthy fat
- Opt for fresh fruit when topping/decorating instead of sprinkles and other processed sugars
Note: If you don’t have coconut flour, the flour can be omitted. The healthier chocolate cake will just be denser and more brownie-like.
Looking for More Healthy and Holistic Tips?
Are you someone who struggles with stress and anxiety? Do you often feel overwhelmed or out of control? Maybe you’ve listened to podcasts about mindfulness. Or have tried the latest meditation app to no avail. Whatever your woes, schedule a FREE consultation with me! If you have goals you would like to meet, working with a coach is a great way to reach them! Holistic Lifestyle Coaching is specifically useful for health-related goals! These goals can include feeling better, being more energetic, finding motivation, and reducing stressors. Furthermore, make sure to check out our PFP Holistic Lifestyle Coaching page for more information!