This post is a third in a series of three posts on stress. After figuring out how to determine if it is the stress that is getting to you and then taking steps to reduce stress, you still will find that stress comes up every now and again. Unfortunately, it is never possible to live a completely stress-free life, but there are 13 remedies for stress and some concrete actions you can take when you find and recognize stress during the moment.
13 Helpful Remedies for Stress
The following are some commonly helpful remedies for stress that appeal to most people:
- Go for a walk.
- Do at least 5 minutes of cardio – get your heart rate up and sweat to release tension in your body.
- Take a nap (or lay down and pretend to nap if you are like me and cannot fall asleep during the day!).
- Breathe intentionally (https://www.pittsburghfitnessproject.com/4-5-6-breathing/).
- Use essential oils on your wrists, temples, or back of the neck (roll-on types are easy to use at work or in public).
- Write out your thoughts in a journal or on scrap paper.
- Talk with a friend – use phone or Skype, don’t wait until you see them next. The sooner the better for this one!
- Plan something fun – just the process of making plans can distract you and lift your mood.
- Plan a relaxing night in to rest and get some alone time.
- Meditate. Guided meditations work best when dealing with stress so that your mind is distracted from your stress.
- Make a cup of herbal tea and sip it slowly, not doing anything else until you finish the entire cup.
- Visit a bookstore and buy at least one book that strikes your curiosity. Start reading it as soon as you get home.
- Play music, and if you are in a place where you can do so, dance for at least 1 full song.
Recognize that each of these might not be applicable to every stressful situation. For example, if you’re stressed because you are too busy, then adding in fun plans (item #8) may not be the best approach. If the stress is due to finances, buying a book isn’t going to necessarily help. Take a bit of time to first determine where your stress is coming from, then scan through this list and see which one appeals most to you during that moment.
Want help making a plan to reduce stress in your life? Schedule a free consultation for Holistic Lifestyle Coaching today to see if this extra support may support you with your wellness goals!